Great Lakes Voyage

123

Great Lakes Voyage

butterchurn
I have been thinking about what I want to do sailing wise when I retire in a year and a half.  Do you think a circumnavigation of the Great Lakes in my Rhodes 22 is beyond her capabilities if i am cautious about the weather?

Ron

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Chris Geankoplis-2
Hey Ron,
        I have not sailed the Great Lakes and I do know that it can be a
challenge, others on the list can tell you about the Rhodes in that
environment.  I can say this about the Rhodes.  After sailing one or another
for 37 years with a couple of pretty challenging voyages to the Bahamas,
Baja/Sea of Cortez and San Juans and Desolation sound plus the full length
of the Chesapeake the boat can do the mileage that is for sure.  Lots of
different environments and real tests of both myself and the boat, leave me
with the decided opinion that the Rhodes 22 can do what you are thinking of;
as long as you don't try to do it in one summer (I think the shoreline
length is around 10,000 miles!).  I think that it would be a grand
adventure, and you would be the first, I believe, to do so in a Rhodes 22.
Would I be willing to do what you plan?  Yes.  Hope this helps.

Chris Geankoplis
Medford, Oregon

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

R22RumRunner
Ron,
I've sailed Lakes Michigan and Superior and can tell you that yes, it can
be done. The trick to doing it and staying alive is not to take any chances
in  bad weather or high wave conditions. Storms can pop up very quickly on
big  bodies of water leaving you a slim margin for error. If you have no time
 constraints would be the best situation.

Rummy

In a message dated 3/3/2013 9:31:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

I have  been thinking about what I want to do sailing wise when I retire in
year  and a half.  Do you think a circumnavigation of the Great Lakes in  my
Rhodes 22 is beyond her capabilities if i am cautious about the  weather?

Ron

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Graham Stewart
Ron:

I sail on Lake Ontario and I think the Rhodes can handle it just fine. The
boat has a great rig but a large cockpit so it should handle the winds
alright but I would not want to take a wave into the cockpit.

Lake Ontario has many interesting ports on both shores where you can stay if
the weather turns. I think Lake Huron and Superior , in contrast have very
long stretches without safe ports so I would be more apprehensive there. A
circumnavigation of all of the lakes would, I expect, take more than one
season and would be a major journey. Have you calculated how long that would
take?

Graham

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

JerryT
Ron,

Marlin Bree has authored several books about Great Lakes sailing on a trailer sailor he built, mostly about Lake Superior.  They may give you some insight and whet your appetite.  I sure enjoyed reading them.  They can be found on Amazon:

Call of the North Wind
Wake of the Green Storm
In the Teeth of a Northeaster

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Hydroace
Ron,

I'm in a similar situation, and have begun planning a trip around the Great
Loop. The first bits of planning for the trip are at www.great-loop.us. I'll
post more as plans proceed - and a trip log once I (hopefully) begin the
trip.

Stay tuned,
Dennis

s/v Magic Moments
berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan

-> original snipped for your reading pleasure :)

Magic Moments
Mightily modified Rhodes 22

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

R22RumRunner
One stop you would have to make on Lake Superior is at Isle Royale. You can
 spend several days exploring all the wonders it has to offer, including a
copper  mine used by the Indians. There is also a gem stone available there
if you have  a sharp eye, it's called a "green stone". I have several left
over from my trip  there more than thirty years ago.

  _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_Royale_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_Royale)

Rummy

In a message dated 3/4/2013 9:37:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Ron,

I'm in a similar situation, and have begun planning a  trip around the Great
Loop. The first bits of planning for the trip are at  www.great-loop.us.
I'll
post more as plans proceed - and a trip log once I  (hopefully) begin the
trip.

Stay tuned,
Dennis

s/v Magic  Moments
berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan

-> original snipped for  your reading pleasure :)

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

butterchurn
Thanks guys for your thoughts.

I would certainly not attempt such a trip in one season.  Since I plan on doing this once I retired, I would take it easy and let it take as long as it takes.

I know I will never be sailing off to the South Pacific, so I will create an adventure here, where I live. It will be a couple of years before I can begin, but in the mean time I can prepare myself and Ozone.

I will look at the books that were recommended.

Ron

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

butterchurn
Graham,

I have only begun to plan.  Not sure how long it would take.  I have much planning to do.  The time to complete will depend on where I plan to stop.  Much thinking to do.

Ron

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

butterchurn
Dennis,
Are you going to do the Loop kin your Rhodes 22?

Ron

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

butterchurn
Isle Royale - absolutely!

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Hydroace
That's the plan, Ron. I'm sorting out fuel & water storage, planning on
adding a small refrigerator and heater, installing a 'different' mechanism
to easily drop and raise the mast while on the water, installing a wi-fi
antenna on the mast head (and a composting head below)...

The list is seemingly endless - but I hope to have all the bugs worked out
by the time I cast off.

Let me know if you have any scathingly brilliant ideas in planning your
trip, or stumble on any problems that might bite the unwary (that would be
me :)

Magic Moments
Mightily modified Rhodes 22

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Charles Nieman
Stan's mast raising system dies work REALLY good on the water.

Sent from my iPhone

Charles Nieman

On Mar 4, 2013, at 7:28 PM, "Dennis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's the plan, Ron. I'm sorting out fuel & water storage, planning on
> adding a small refrigerator and heater, installing a 'different' mechanism
> to easily drop and raise the mast while on the water, installing a wi-fi
> antenna on the mast head (and a composting head below)...
>
> The list is seemingly endless - but I hope to have all the bugs worked out
> by the time I cast off.
>
> Let me know if you have any scathingly brilliant ideas in planning your
> trip, or stumble on any problems that might bite the unwary (that would be
> me :)
>
> Dennis
>
> s/v Magic Moments
> berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan
>
> -> original snipped for your reading pleasure :)

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Keith A Clark
I  would suggest sending this to "Trailor sailors" They have members located throughout the U.S. as the "Rhodes" group has.  You might even get some takers for all or part of your journey.    Good luck

Keith, Gladstone MI
 "Gloria J"  82
http://www.trailersailor.com/

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Keith A Clark
I have been sailing the northern part of Lake Michigan which is called Green Bay for many years.  Little Bay de Noc and the northern tip of the Door Peninsula in Wisconsin in particular.  I had a friend once say, " the boat can take more than you can".  I was out in very large waves, they were smal  when we left port, (made bad decision to leave port) , and will leave it at that.  While surfing down a wave we turtled and my tiller board cracked in half. Don't worry, the 82 had a plywood core which was compromised with water, thus the failure.   Luckily I was close to shore and ended up beaching it with great pleasure. Bring a sea anchor just in case you get caught.  The boat will handle the trip I am sure.  But will you?.   The Rhodes sheds the waves very well resulting in a much drier sail than other boats.  The Great Lakes waves are nothing like the ocean.  They are short, fast and steep.  Bottom line, in the Great Lakes, "a mans got to know his limitations".  I have learn!
 ed to stay an extra day and wait it out.  In Michigan, just wait a half hour and and the weather will change  Take your time, don't be in a hurry to get to work on Monday like me.  If your in the area, give a shout out and come and stay at the Gladstone Harbor. I'll buy you one or two or three.

Keith
 Gladstone,MI
"Gloria J"  82  ,

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Hydroace
I've seen Stan's system Charles, and you're right - it's great. The problem
is that I've been cursed with an inventor's mindset, and I'm constantly
tossing around ideas to make it simpler. Or easier. Or faster. Or
something...

In the case of the mast mechanism, (ideally) I'd like to raise or lower the
mast singlehanded while on mildly lumpy water, (ideally) without leaving the
cockpit, and (ideally) it would come to rest horizontally in the 'correct'
place - a few feet forward of the pulpit, and a few feet aft of the pushpit
- without having to slide it fore or aft once it had been lowered.

I've mocked up a system that will do all of the above (using Legos!!) - but
I'll still have to go forward briefly to release tension from the
headstay/furler and the babystay. Bummer.

I'll put a short video on the blog showing the concept - perhaps in the next
week or so. Stop by for a look if it's of interest.

Magic Moments
Mightily modified Rhodes 22

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Chris Geankoplis-2
That would be a truly great and epic voyage like Ron is planning, do read
the Odyssey to keep things in perspective.  The Fl. Keys are the land of the
lotus eaters I should think, anyone else have some Classically parallel
locations on the loop based on the link Dennis gave us?

Chris

Re: Great Lakes Voyage

Chris Geankoplis-2
Hey Keith,
        We all love stories of "what would I do if......) and it happens to
the other guy.  So tell us, if it is OK, what you did from the moment of the
loss of the rudder, did it cause the broach (I assume) and subsequent
turtle. How did the boat recover and right itself in those conditions. How
did you beach it and what was the result, what was the sail configuration,
etc, etc.  No one really judges members action....well there was the one
time Rummy......oh but I digress.  Anyway if you would like I am sure there
are some interested members of the list who are curious. (Uh, don't frighten
us too much).

Chris G
Oregon

Now Mast Raising

Charles Nieman

Dennis
That sounds like a fantastic system .... you pull this off and Stan might offer you a job!!!!

seriously, I would love to see this in action. Even though I own Stan's and probably won't change, I am fascinated by the concept you describe.

I would come by to see, but Michigan is a LOOOOOONG sail from Texas

Charles
s/v Day Dream 98 R 22
Atrlington, Texas

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 22:05:14 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Great Lakes Voyage
>
> I've seen Stan's system Charles, and you're right - it's great. The problem
> is that I've been cursed with an inventor's mindset, and I'm constantly
> tossing around ideas to make it simpler. Or easier. Or faster. Or
> something...
>
> In the case of the mast mechanism, (ideally) I'd like to raise or lower the
> mast singlehanded while on mildly lumpy water, (ideally) without leaving the
> cockpit, and (ideally) it would come to rest horizontally in the 'correct'
> place - a few feet forward of the pulpit, and a few feet aft of the pushpit
> - without having to slide it fore or aft once it had been lowered.
>
> I've mocked up a system that will do all of the above (using Legos!!) - but
> I'll still have to go forward briefly to release tension from the
> headstay/furler and the babystay. Bummer.
>
> I'll put a short video on the blog showing the concept - perhaps in the next
> week or so. Stop by for a look if it's of interest.
>
> Dennis
>
> s/v Magic Moments
> berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan

Re: Now Mast Raising

Lowe, Rob
Dennis,
I'm also very interested in your concept and would love to see what you have in mind, even if you haven't worked out all the kinks yet.  Shoot, that's what where here for, to finish off half baked ideas. - rob