Quantcast

Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Brad Haslett-2
I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail furling to my 30'
S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have kept the R-22) but
wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to do it.  This
morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a behind-the-mast
mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700 including a new sail.
Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is not an issue.  My
mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for replacement is
around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.  Do any of you have
any experience with behind-mast furling systems in general or have marina
neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This apparently is a recent
development by CDI.

Brad
Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Bud_On_Rhodes
Brad,
   I rent dock space from a guy who has a 39' Nicholson that has a CDI
behind the mast roller furler.
I can take some pictures of it when I get over to my boat this weekend.
 Any specific pics you want?

-Bud

Brad Haslett wrote:

>I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail furling to my 30'
>S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have kept the R-22) but
>wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to do it.  This
>morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a behind-the-mast
>mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700 including a new sail.
>Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is not an issue.  My
>mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for replacement is
>around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.  Do any of you have
>any experience with behind-mast furling systems in general or have marina
>neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This apparently is a recent
>development by CDI.
>
>Brad
>Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Brad Haslett-2
Bud,

I've looked at all the photos on their site and the pdf owners manual.  Ask
him how he likes it, what problems he's had, how much he paid and who he
bought it from.  Also, how difficult was it to install?  This looks
promising.

Brad

On 5/17/07, Bud Connor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brad,
>    I rent dock space from a guy who has a 39' Nicholson that has a CDI
> behind the mast roller furler.
> I can take some pictures of it when I get over to my boat this weekend.
> Any specific pics you want?
>
> -Bud
>
> Brad Haslett wrote:
>
> >I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail furling to my
> 30'
> >S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have kept the R-22) but
> >wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to do it.  This
> >morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a behind-the-mast
> >mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700 including a new sail.
> >Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is not an
> issue.  My
> >mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for replacement is
> >around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.  Do any of you
> have
> >any experience with behind-mast furling systems in general or have marina
> >neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This apparently is a
> recent
> >development by CDI.
> >
> >Brad
> >Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

> Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Leland
http://www.sailcdi.com/Mainsailreef.htm

http://www.sailcdi.com/Mainsailreef.htm

Brad Haslett-2 wrote
I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail furling to my 30'
S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have kept the R-22) but
wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to do it.  This
morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a behind-the-mast
mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700 including a new sail.
Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is not an issue.  My
mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for replacement is
around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.  Do any of you have
any experience with behind-mast furling systems in general or have marina
neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This apparently is a recent
development by CDI.

Brad

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Joseph Hadzima
Brad,

I don't have one, but have seen them, and even spoke to one
guy ... he said it came on his new to him boat, and so far
he liked it, actually he said his wife liked it because she
didn't have fret over anyone goig forward to assist in
droping the main, or using the sail ties.

sorry not much of an endorsement, but it looked pretty
cool.

--- Brad Haslett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail
> furling to my 30'
> S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have
> kept the R-22) but
> wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to
> do it.  This
> morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a
> behind-the-mast
> mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700
> including a new sail.
> Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is
> not an issue.  My
> mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for
> replacement is
> around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.
> Do any of you have
> any experience with behind-mast furling systems in
> general or have marina
> neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This
> apparently is a recent
> development by CDI.
>
> Brad
> Use [hidden email], Help?
> www.rhodes22.org/list

HADZ (a.k.a. joe)

"Did you know...that when you walk past a flower, whether it be in
somebody's garden or on a vacant hillside, the flower will always
smile at you. The most polite way to respond, I've been told, is
to cheerfully return the smile."
--Ron Atchison
Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Bud_On_Rhodes
Brad,
   I do know that the Nicholson's previous owner had the roller main
installed well before my docklord?? bought
the boat.   I will see how he likes it.

-Bud

Brad Haslett wrote:

>Bud,
>
>I've looked at all the photos on their site and the pdf owners manual.  Ask
>him how he likes it, what problems he's had, how much he paid and who he
>bought it from.  Also, how difficult was it to install?  This looks
>promising.
>
>Brad
>
>On 5/17/07, Bud Connor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Brad,
>>   I rent dock space from a guy who has a 39' Nicholson that has a CDI
>>behind the mast roller furler.
>>I can take some pictures of it when I get over to my boat this weekend.
>>Any specific pics you want?
>>
>>-Bud
>>
>>Brad Haslett wrote:
>>

>>>I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail furling to my
>>>

>>30'
>>

>>>S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have kept the R-22) but
>>>wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to do it.  This
>>>morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a behind-the-mast
>>>mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700 including a new sail.
>>>Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is not an
>>>

>>issue.  My
>>

>>>mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for replacement is
>>>around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.  Do any of you
>>>

>>have
>>

>>>any experience with behind-mast furling systems in general or have marina
>>>neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This apparently is a
>>>

>>recent
>>

>>>development by CDI.
>>>
>>>Brad
>>>Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

>>Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

>Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

R22RumRunner
Brad,
I don't personally know anyone with this system, but if CDI manufacture's
it, it probably is worth the money. If not, you can always sell it on E-Bay.  :)

Rummy

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Leland

Brad,

First I've ever heard of this.  Seems like a great idea for the multitude of used and new boats that don't offer in-mast furling.  Sail performance should be as good as any other non-battened loose-footed main.  Just as pretty (or ugly) as a sail cover on a boom.  Simple, effective, cheap.  Surprised no one has marketed it until now.

One of the many reasons I chose a Rhodes was because it was the smallest boat I could find with in-mast furling.  I liked it for storage and deployment more than reefing.  In fact, the main is so small that if I have to reef it's probably so windy that it's time to come in anyway.

I wonder if this is going to be a big seller for CDI.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)

Brad Haslett-2 wrote
[...]

Rummy and others,

Thanks for the input.  I've studied the various mainsail furling systems
over the years and have passed because of the expense.  The performance
issues and offshore reliability  aren't of concern to me.  I don't know how
CDI can do it so much cheaper but they do seem to have a good reputation.

As far as offshore goes - I know a guy in Gulfport who sold a 9.2 S2 center
cockpit exactly like mine two months before Katrina.  He is willing to sail
with me to Mexico and share his offshore skills if I bring my boat down the
ditch.  He's retired and said he'd done enough stupid sailing tricks as a
younger man so he won't make the crossing unless the weather is really
nice.  I don't think going with a behind the mast furler would make much
difference to him one way or the other.

Brad

> Brad,
> I don't personally know anyone with this system, but if CDI manufacture's
> it, it probably is worth the money. If not, you can always sell it on
> E-Bay.  :)
>
> Rummy

> http://www.aol.com.
> Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Sailing to Mexico

Richard Smith-6

<He is willing to sail
> with me to Mexico and share his offshore skills if I bring my boat down
the
> ditch.  He's retired and said he'd done enough stupid sailing tricks as a
> younger man so he won't make the crossing unless the weather is really
> nice. >

BEWARE!!  The sailing will be nice going but you are going to do a lot of
beating on the way back against the Easterly Trades.

Richard Smith

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Tootle

Brad,
     The reason why CDI can sell it so cheap is they buy the parts Stan has left over and the sails come from Bangladesh.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

Re: Sailing to Mexico

Brad Haslett-2
Not a problem, I've got a Yanmar ginny!  Brad

On 5/17/07, Richard Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <He is willing to sail
> > with me to Mexico and share his offshore skills if I bring my boat down
> the
> > ditch.  He's retired and said he'd done enough stupid sailing tricks as
> > younger man so he won't make the crossing unless the weather is really
> > nice. >
>
> BEWARE!!  The sailing will be nice going but you are going to do a lot of
> beating on the way back against the Easterly Trades.
>
> Richard Smith

> Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Brad Haslett-2
Ed,

My mast and boom have needed painted since I bought the boat and this would
also be the perfect excuse to de-mast and accomplish that task.  I sail with
a lot of non-sailors and just getting them to move out of the way while
dropping and stacking the main is a PITA.  The price on the CDI system is
really attractive.

Regarding the attachment - it is way too close to the truth.  With the
avionics available on homebuilts it could probably be done. I've got two
years left on my steamship gauge "legacy" DC-10 and then I'll be forced
kicking and screaming into the digital age.  The Boeing 777 is starting to
look more promising but for the destinations, Memphis to China, China to
Memphis, Memphis to China, China to - you get the picture.  Depending on how
long the layover is in China you probably would only have to do two
departures a month.  Oceanic crossings are boring as hell but you sure get a
lot of quality reading time.

Brad

On 5/17/07, Tootle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brad,
>      The reason why CDI can sell it so cheap is they buy the parts Stan
> has
> left over and the sails come from Bangladesh.
>
> Ed K
> Greenville, SC, USA

> Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Sailing to Mexico

Richard Smith-6
> Not a problem, I've got a Yanmar ginny!  Brad<

Try sleeping with it hammering, roaring and reeking for days on end while
the boat pounds into the head sea.  Did it and hated it!!

Richard Smith

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Robert Skinner
Brad, I've been looking at the CDI main furler since
it came out, and may get one for a Potter I own.
Looks very promising.

One possible point of failure is the outhaul track.
It will have to be attached to most of the length of
the boom.  I would also want a substantial take-up
line on the furler reel.

Additional mast head weight and wind cross section
appear to be minimal.  Certainly not a racer's
choice, but could be a cruiser's dream.

I'm following this thread with great interest.

/Robert

Brad Haslett wrote:

> I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail furling to my 30'
> S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have kept the R-22) but
> wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to do it.  This
> morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a behind-the-mast
> mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700 including a new sail.
> Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is not an issue.  My
> mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for replacement is
> around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.  Do any of you have
> any experience with behind-mast furling systems in general or have marina
> neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This apparently is a recent
> development by CDI.
>
> Brad
Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Brad Haslett-2
Robert,

Here is the item number as it is listed on e-Bay:
150116704000The website of the vendor is somersetsails.com.

I'm curious about the quality of the sail they include, possible upgrades,
and their price versus other vendors.

Brad