Quantcast

Rhodes 22 for sale.

123

Rhodes 22 for sale.

R22RumRunner
I am helping a fellow Lake Hartwell Rhodes owner sell their boat. They must
sell due to personal health related problems so I offered to help them.
The boat is an 1989 model, factory recycled in 2004 and has seen very  little
use in the past two years. It is a beautiful red hull, has IMF and a 175
genny. Particulars and photo's are available by contacting me off the list
directly. It does not have a trailer, but I understand that there are several  good
used ones available from GB.

Rummy
864-933-4284
Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

glenn Jennings
I've been looking for one of these beauties,  Can you tell me a little more about her? What if anything needs attention, possibly an inventory? photos.

  Thanks

  Glenn
  530.432.2006

[hidden email] wrote:
  I am helping a fellow Lake Hartwell Rhodes owner sell their boat. They must
sell due to personal health related problems so I offered to help them.
The boat is an 1989 model, factory recycled in 2004 and has seen very little
use in the past two years. It is a beautiful red hull, has IMF and a 175
genny. Particulars and photo's are available by contacting me off the list
directly. It does not have a trailer, but I understand that there are several good
used ones available from GB.

Rummy
864-933-4284
Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

Michael D. Weisner-3
BTW, the eBay 1982 R22 that was sold last week for $565 + $119 was not paid
for so it has been relisted at $200 + $119 as item number:140027245056

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140027245056&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A12

Come on, who wants a bargain?

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer

> I am helping a fellow Lake Hartwell Rhodes owner sell their boat. They
must
> sell due to personal health related problems so I offered to help them.
> The boat is an 1989 model, factory recycled in 2004 and has seen very
little
> use in the past two years. It is a beautiful red hull, has IMF and a 175
> genny. Particulars and photo's are available by contacting me off the list
> directly. It does not have a trailer, but I understand that there are
several  good
> used ones available from GB.
>
> Rummy
> 864-933-4284
> Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

John Lock-2
At 01:43 PM 9/8/2006 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
>BTW, the eBay 1982 R22 that was sold last week for $565 + $119 was not paid
>for so it has been relisted at $200 + $119 as item number:140027245056
>
>Come on, who wants a bargain?

OK... let's assume for a moment that I would be crazy enough to get
the thing and drag it back down to Georgia.  If the hull, mast, and
rigging are basically sound, does anyone have a guess at what kind of
$$$ would be needed to completely remodel the interior?

Cheers!

John

"I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it!"

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

TN Rhodey
Glen - note Rummy posted his number....i suggest you give him a call.

Wally

>From: glenn Jennings <[hidden email]>
>To: The Rhodes 22 mail list <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 for sale.
>Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
>
>I've been looking for one of these beauties,  Can you tell me a little more
>about her? What if anything needs attention, possibly an inventory? photos.
>
>   Thanks
>
>   Glenn
>   530.432.2006
>
>[hidden email] wrote:
>   I am helping a fellow Lake Hartwell Rhodes owner sell their boat. They
>must
>sell due to personal health related problems so I offered to help them.
>The boat is an 1989 model, factory recycled in 2004 and has seen very
>little
>use in the past two years. It is a beautiful red hull, has IMF and a 175
>genny. Particulars and photo's are available by contacting me off the list
>directly. It does not have a trailer, but I understand that there are
>several good
>used ones available from GB.
>
>Rummy
>864-933-4284
>  Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail.
>Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

'glenn Jennings' about Rhodes 22 for sale.

Tootle
Glenn:
     Rummy is helping an older couple who both have recent health problems.  The boat is beautiful.  You asked for details and if Rummy has not called, call him.  The boat can be sailed today.  The only thing it needs is some soap and water, and a captain.  The boat was recycled so any age or other issues were fixed and updated.  As Rummy pointed out, Stan has a couple of used trailers for sail(sp) or Stan can get you a new galvanized one.  The boat is sitting in the water at Lake Hartwell.  Come and get it...

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

glenn Jennings wrote

R22RumRunner@aol.com wrote:
  I am helping a fellow Lake Hartwell Rhodes owner sell their boat. They must
sell due to personal health related problems so I offered to help them.
The boat is an 1989 model, factory recycled in 2004 and has seen very little
use in the past two years. It is a beautiful red hull, has IMF and a 175
genny. Particulars and photo's are available by contacting me off the list
directly. It does not have a trailer, but I understand that there are several good
used ones available from GB.

Rummy
864-933-4284

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

Rory Orkin
Note the excessive mold on the port vertical area of the v berth..
gotta wonder where that water is comming from.
Some items that leak or need to be replaced might not be made on a boat that old.
Might just be a parts boat. THes owner seems to have just given up on it and given it away.
Wonder why ?

R22MikeW wrote
BTW, the eBay 1982 R22 that was sold last week for $565 + $119 was not paid
for so it has been relisted at $200 + $119 as item number:140027245056

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140027245056&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A12

Come on, who wants a bargain?

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer

> I am helping a fellow Lake Hartwell Rhodes owner sell their boat. They
must
> sell due to personal health related problems so I offered to help them.
> The boat is an 1989 model, factory recycled in 2004 and has seen very
little
> use in the past two years. It is a beautiful red hull, has IMF and a 175
> genny. Particulars and photo's are available by contacting me off the list
> directly. It does not have a trailer, but I understand that there are
several  good
> used ones available from GB.
>
> Rummy
> 864-933-4284

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

Michael D. Weisner-3
I agree that it will take some work.  The mold is probably from rain water -
the boat is sitting at a boat yard and needs a new companionway door.

This boat was discussed a week or 2 ago on this list.  Without rehashing the
messages, I think that even as a "project boat" it is worth $500-$600!  Who
knows, you might get it for $319 if no one else bids!

As far as why would someone "give it" away?  Everything from divorce
proceedings to the passing of the captain.  It may just be too much for them
to repair.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer

http://www.nabble.com/Rhodes-22-for-sale.-tf2239839.html#a6217679
> Sent from the Rhodes22 forum at Nabble.com.

> Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Reply to Rory on Rhodes 22 for sale.

Tootle
Rory:

     There are used boats sold ready to sail, see Rummy's post and there are eBay or other used Rhodes.  At $500 to $600 you assume you are getting what we call a project boat.  Just looking at the boat I agree with Mike that it is more than a parts boat.  As to cleaning and rebuilding interior.  On a Rhodes that is not that difficult to set up a very basic interior.  Such an interior would not be equivalent to Stan's recycle, but for somebody on a small budget it is a way to get a sailboat and get on the water.
       It would take time and work.  That is what a project boat is.  It is not really meant to take sailing with the family tomorrow.  Expect to pay 10 to 20 times the price for one ready to sail.  And a really clean and good one is over $20,000.
        Again, it would be an inexpensive way to get a Rhodes 22, but it would also take work.  As far as I have seen, there is nothing impossible to repair and rebuild on a R22.  Some repairs take time and patients, just ask Lou Rosenberg.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

R22MikeW wrote
I agree that it will take some work.  The mold is probably from rain water -
the boat is sitting at a boat yard and needs a new companionway door.

This boat was discussed a week or 2 ago on this list.  Without rehashing the
messages, I think that even as a "project boat" it is worth $500-$600!  Who
knows, you might get it for $319 if no one else bids!

As far as why would someone "give it" away?  Everything from divorce
proceedings to the passing of the captain.  It may just be too much for them
to repair.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer

> Note the excessive mold on the port vertical area of the v berth..
> gotta wonder where that water is comming from.
> Some items that leak or need to be replaced might not be made on a boat
that
> old.
> Might just be a parts boat. THes owner seems to have just given up on it
and
> given it away.
> Wonder why ?
>

> R22MikeW wrote:
> >
> > BTW, the eBay 1982 R22 that was sold last week for $565 + $119 was not
> > paid
> > for so it has been relisted at $200 + $119 as item number:140027245056

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140027245056&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A12

> > Come on, who wants a bargain?
> >
> > Mike
> > s/v Shanghai'd Summer

RE: Reply to Rory on Rhodes 22 for sale.

Jim Connolly
My first sailboat was a '69 O'Day Mariner 2+2.  Rhodes 19 hull with a less
rudimentary cabin that theoretically could sleep 4, wash basin molded in
under the v-berth, no kitchen.  It still had the original porta potty (made
of steel! And yet somehow it still stunk).  It had sat on the hard for at
least three years.  The cabin hatch went missing at some point, and some
bright light covered the 1' square hole with a trash bag.  That worked fine,
until it rained.

I have no idea how high the water level reached inside the hull, but the
same or similar bright fellow apparently decided to drain the cabin by
drilling a 5/8" hole in the bottom of the hull forward of the centerboard
trunk.  Hopefully he did it from underneath with a corded drill.  That would
have taught him (or his heirs) a valuable lesson.

I trashed the mildewed cabin cushions (orange vinyl) rusted steel porta
potty, etc. basically leaving a hollow fiberglass cave inside the cabin.  I
cleaned the hell out of it with gallons of bleach, mildew killer paint, etc.
For the (reasonable) price of this project boat, I got a new main and a
recycled R-19 racing jib, replaced standing and running rigging, and fixed
the hole in the hull, and I was good to go.  I wasn't interested in the
cabin, and in three years, never went back and did anything else in there.
I did do other upgrades on hardware and other exterior cosmetics that I
cared about.

My advice, evaluate your skills and a realistic estimate of repair time.
Others (including Ed K) have pointed out that if you don't need Stan's
high-end cabin, you need no re-create it.  You might be able to sail happily
with little down there.  The bulkhead for the mast support may be the only
critical structural member in there.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 Recycled '03

R22MikeW wrote:

> I agree that it will take some work.  The mold is probably from rain
> water
> -
> the boat is sitting at a boat yard and needs a new companionway door.
>
> This boat was discussed a week or 2 ago on this list.  Without
> rehashing the messages, I think that even as a "project boat" it is
> worth $500-$600!
> Who
> knows, you might get it for $319 if no one else bids!
>
> As far as why would someone "give it" away?  Everything from divorce
> proceedings to the passing of the captain.  It may just be too much
> for them to repair.
>
> Mike
> s/v Shanghai'd Summer

No argument from me. But I think you are missing my point a little bit.. This PARTICLAR boat is a bit unique.. It can not be inspected, it is a throw away,
and for some reason , it was not paid for. The inspection process is a bunch of pictures on the internet.. No one to talk to or get even the most rudamentary history. Even for a project boat there may be surprises. Of course at the price all that is at risk is not much money and some time  and expense in hauling. Having bought and sold a lot of used equipment and machinery one learns that without inspection, that "great deal" can actually be scrap. Since this price is a scrap price (probably the value of salvagable parts) then the proper buyer should by all means have at it.. But be prepared for the possibility of it turning out to be "you get what you pay for" .  A $1,000 boat that can be inspected may be a far better  deal than one that is $500
PS to Ed-- I knew it was a project boat.. and that used boats are available ready to sail.

Jim Connolly wrote

R22MikeW wrote:

> I agree that it will take some work.  The mold is probably from rain
> water
> -
> the boat is sitting at a boat yard and needs a new companionway door.
>
> This boat was discussed a week or 2 ago on this list.  Without
> rehashing the messages, I think that even as a "project boat" it is
> worth $500-$600!
> Who
> knows, you might get it for $319 if no one else bids!
>
> As far as why would someone "give it" away?  Everything from divorce
> proceedings to the passing of the captain.  It may just be too much
> for them to repair.
>
> Mike
> s/v Shanghai'd Summer

john Belanger
john
  i don't own a rhodes yet. i'm in texas. i sailed on my friends 84 in august and loved it . i'm from new york and know where port jefferson is located. i'm further out in the field than you and i was tempted. i actually bid on it and was high bidder for a few hours. i saved the email from ebay telling me i was the high bidder. but without actually going to see it i just couldn't get up the courage to close the deal. from the pics you can't see the bottom. she doesn't have a trailer and what about the title? and need i mention the cost of trailering it back to texas. if it was closer i could borrow a trailer and go get it but more questions than answers!!! one could but should one?
  come back john b
  p.s. my modem went down 8 hours before it was due to close and i took that as an omen!!

John Lock <[hidden email]> wrote:
  At 01:43 PM 9/8/2006 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
>BTW, the eBay 1982 R22 that was sold last week for $565 + $119 was not paid
>for so it has been relisted at $200 + $119 as item number:140027245056
>
>Come on, who wants a bargain?

OK... let's assume for a moment that I would be crazy enough to get
the thing and drag it back down to Georgia. If the hull, mast, and
rigging are basically sound, does anyone have a guess at what kind of
$$$ would be needed to completely remodel the interior?

Cheers!

John

"I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it!"

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

---------------------------------
Get your email and more, right on the  new Yahoo.com
Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

Michael D. Weisner-3
Hi John B,

I actually called the folks at BoatAngel last week in Mesa, AZ
(480-834-4191) concerning the relisting, asking for clarification about the
'82 R22, specifically the rudder components and the ability to view the
craft.  I received the following response from Katie Lewis today:

        Here's the answers to some of the questions you put on the
        Rhodes 22' we have for sale on EBay.

        The rudder assembly IS included. The donor had it off and in
        his garage because it needs some repairs done to it, but he
        will reattach it or at least put it with the boat before the winning
        bidder goes to pick up.

        The donor said there wasn't a specific date on when it needs to
        be picked up, and when I asked if it could even stay for a month
        or two he said that was something he was sure could be worked
        out with the storage facility.

        Was that it?

        Anything else please let me know. Thanks.

I had also asked about the opportunity to inspect the boat and had been told
that they would not permit it to prevent theft of the item or accessories.
I was assured that the hull was in good condition and she had no knowledge
of any major damage or holes.

There have been no bids to date.  One must wonder why ...

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer

   At 02:16 PM 9/12/2006 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:

     There have been no bids to date.  One must wonder why ...

   Heh, I got a bit of a clue from the path name for their photo archive
   -
   [1]http://www.boatangel.org/photos/ Gross-1982-Rhodes
   -22foot-Sailboat-NY-photos/
   Wonder what's growing in the bilge?
   Cheers!

   John
   "The best ideas come after you think you've run out of them."

References

   1. http://www.boatangel.org/photos/

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

Michael D. Weisner-3
John L,

>From the look of the directory, the boat was donated by someone named Gross
from Coram, NY, not a description of the property.

Mike

----

At 03:45 PM 9/12/2006 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
> >From the look of the directory, the boat was donated by someone named Gross
>from Coram, NY, not a description of the property.

Ah, maybe so... I didn't go back up the directory tree and poke
around.  Still... I wonder what's growing in the bilge ;-)

Cheers!

John

"Damage control is easy.  Reading Klingon, that's hard. -- Scotty"

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Rhodes 22 for sale.

Michael D. Weisner-3
John L,

There's only one sure way to find out what is growing in the bilge - buy it!
I would buy it if I wasn't married, then again, if I did, I probably
wouldn't be married any longer.

Mike

> At 03:45 PM 9/12/2006 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
> > >From the look of the directory, the boat was donated by someone named
Gross

> >from Coram, NY, not a description of the property.
>
> Ah, maybe so... I didn't go back up the directory tree and poke
> around.  Still... I wonder what's growing in the bilge ;-)
>
> Cheers!
>
> John
>
> "Damage control is easy.  Reading Klingon, that's hard. -- Scotty"

> Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Reply to Mike about Rhodes 22 for sale.

Tootle
Mike:

     For any price less than $1,000 this boat is most likely a good buy.  With the understanding that it will take several thousand $$$ to clean up an make seaworthy.  If someone has time or weekends and does the hard manual labor himself, then that money can be spent on new sails, lines and a motor.
If you do it yourself, you best have some knowledge of how to work with glass, some basic carpentry skills and time.
     We have established that John L is not interested in manual labor and tedious cleaning.  So beit.  However, John B, who chickened out, might have the time to clean it up.   It would take a commitment to work on a project for about a year, maybe just a little less.
     Keep in mind that this is Stan's slow time and he could use a project to keep his helpers busy.  It most likely would not be worth it for Stan to buy and clean up, but if somebody was paying the costs of labor up front....
      Wasn't Brad's old boat an '82?  Maybe Brad should buy it and have Stan fumigate it.  Another option would be to have Rummy buy it and make it into a project for a certain drinking buddy of his.  The big problem with this boat is retreving it.  I suspect it is nowhere as bad as the boat that Lou is rebuilding, and just might clean up without major obstacles.
       Rummy and I know that boats in much worse shape have been restored to good sailing condition.  There have been many restorations discussed on this list.  There is a magazine devoted to old boats and constantly has articles about sailboat restoration.  See:
http://www.goodoldboat.com/
        And there have been numerous sites referred to by others from this list about sailboat fixing up.
        And then there is:   http://westsystem.com/ewmag/

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

R22MikeW wrote
John L,

There's only one sure way to find out what is growing in the bilge - buy it!
I would buy it if I wasn't married, then again, if I did, I probably
wouldn't be married any longer.

Mike

> At 03:45 PM 9/12/2006 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
> > >From the look of the directory, the boat was donated by someone named
Gross
> >from Coram, NY, not a description of the property.
>
> Ah, maybe so... I didn't go back up the directory tree and poke
> around.  Still... I wonder what's growing in the bilge ;-)
>
> Cheers!
>
> John
>
> "Damage control is easy.  Reading Klingon, that's hard. -- Scotty"

Re: Reply to Mike about Rhodes 22 for sale.

R22RumRunner
Hey, I'm with Ed on this one. Once again, you people are over-thinking this
boat. How much can really be wrong with it and how much will it take to
restore  it.

Rummy
Use [hidden email], Help? www.rhodes22.org/list

Re: Reply to Mike about Rhodes 22 for sale.

hparsons
If I was within a day's drive of it, I'd be bidding on it.